Monday, February 15, 2010

Flash of Genius - Part Two

During the next week, John and I separately worked on the ability to adjust the unit. Then one day I get a call from John and he asked me to check out an origami video on how to make an adjustable box. If you are not familiar with this methodology, origami is the traditional Japanese art of paper folding . The video that was posted on Youtube, it created a complex adjustable box in this artistic style. While I liked the concept, the origami box was to complex and convoluted for our usage. However, in theory, that was what we wanted, a self contained adjustable box. Again, after reflecting on the video, we developed and refined the adjustability.

Once the mechanism to adjust in either direction was conceived, we went to work on finding the proper height and size of the unit. Since, I was unemployed at the time, I drove to the local home improvement stores with paper, pen and tape measure in hand. I would walk up to every barbecue and measure the inside of the units. On multiple occasions, people confused me with being a representative of the BBQ manufactures and began to ask me questions. Diligently, I took width, depth and height measurements of all of the BBQ unites that were Gas, and entered the information into an Excel spread sheet. I poured over the two in a half dozen or so units and settled on a length, width and height for the unit.
After determining the unit's size, I went to work on the unit's hole, placements and dimensions. These numbers were based on the width and length of the unit at its full extension. After the wholes were placed, John added the usage of wing nuts and bolts to lock the units' four corners together. The look of the handles came to me while rummaging at the local Lowes, I combined a fancy kitchen drawer handle with "J" hooks, put them together and we had our handles.

No comments:

Post a Comment