Friday, February 19, 2010

Prototype Two:

While prototype one cost us roughly $80, our next two prototypes would cost three time that amount. We knew we had to develop another polished prototype, with the new dimension that were derived from my research, along with the learned lessons from the first prototype (Ash Box). I began to develop the CAD drawing and in parallel, John worked on the patent submission documentation.
While the drawings took a little more than a day to develop, John had his hands full with the patent application. For you see, John was not a patent attorney, his specialty is in mergers and acquisitions. However, Penguin Bottling Company and our own personal finances placed us in a bind in hiring a patent attorney. So we decided to create and submit this application in house.
The drawing were completed before any of the patent paperwork was done and so with phone in hand, I started to call local machinist to price out the cost. However, since we have NOT applied for our patent, we feared that the idea may be stolen. How can I ask a machine shop to create the CharBQ without telling them how the devices works and its purpose? I thought of a cover story to protect the identity of the function. When I placed my calls to the local machinists, I informed them that I was helping out my artist friend who needed these "corners" for his sculpture project. To further mask there usage, I was placing an order for 9 "corners" that would somehow be used in a tower sculpture. I then added that my friend may use wire to attach and hold the units. Basically, I used my imagination and whatever made sense to "connect" the corners.
What I found amazing, was that in this tough economy, 2 out of 5 companies responded to my request. Granted, it was a small project, but a project, none-the-less! Eight days later, De Perini Sheet Metal Fabrication delivered our 9 units of glistening stainless steel corners, along with newly purchased bolts, wing nuts and handles (made from eye hooks and drawer handles) which produced our beautiful CharBQ units - prototype version 2, numbers two and three.

No comments:

Post a Comment